The basic principles governing the Securities Market Model in Greece can be defined as follows:
- Rule Book based
- Order Driven Market with Market Makers participation (quotes)
- Pre and post Anonymous Trading
- Price / Time Priority is applied
- Use of Volatility Interrupters
- Fully Electronic Trading is employed in order to minimize the trading cost
- Use of a Central Counterparty for Clearing
Athens Exchange trading model supports nine trading segments for ATHEX Cash market. Εach of those segments has:
- Specific time periods and phases of trading
- Specific categories of securities are traded
- Specific trading methods and trading boards are applied
A security can be traded only in one market.
ATHEX listed companies are classified into sub-markets mainly based on their capitalization.